Monday, November 7, 2011

Fall, Literally

Fall is lovely here, pleasant days and trees that glow orange and red.  For a week after my ankle surgery, precipitated by my fall down the steps in Salt Lake City, I looked out our bedroom window at the changing colors. Thanks to the ministrations of my sister, Christine, who took me into Georgetown for surgery, sat all day waiting, and left with our larder full of her good cooking, I survived.  Tom and my visiting teacher took it from there, and he does the wash and the cooking and cleaning while I recuperate.  He also cheers me on as I try to become more self-sufficient, like getting out to Best Buy on my knee walker.





Last Friday was a turning point for me.  We had a briefing at the Rayburn House Office Building with Congressman Matheson, then I scooted over to the House gallery to see a vote on my rented knee walker.  Students helped me on and off escalators and up the ramps so we could see the stragglers run into the well of the house to make the vote deadline. We found it very entertaining.  My loyal escort, LeAnne, took a cab with me over to the US Tax Court, where we ate an unforgettable(?) lunch at the Tax Court cafeteria before our briefing with Judge Swift.  He had concocted a mock trial and I laughed until my sides ached at our students taking on the roles of plaintiff, defendant, counsel, witnesses, judge, bailiff, jury, etc. in the tort case of Waters vs. Holland.  I'm so grateful to the generous people who give these briefings to our students.
Our students look sharp.



Me with my trusty knee walker.

Ms. Waters, supposed traffic chaser with my device as prop.

Jeff and Jaime, Charlie and Max visited over the weekend and it took my mind off my problems.  We enjoyed time in the play park and a visit to the Udvar-Hazy Center of the National Air and Space Museum, just  few minutes away.  Charlie and Max decorated birdhouses with Tom.  Charlie dressed up in my fancy gown and Max bounced off the walls. Such a pleasant visit!


Photo by Jaime Rugh.

3 comments:

  1. I loved the video--and the picture of you in front the Capitol is beautiful. I wondered about why your "device" was next to the witness--thanks for explaining it.

    I wish you a speedy recovery!

    E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan,

    Thanks for sharing this experience with us -- wouldn't it be great if every citizen could have a "field trip" to Washington DC?


    Keep on blogging!

    Gary

    Cool scooter! Thanks for the video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry it took me so long to respond. You are a brave woman who finds fun in the difficult. Happy Thanksgiving.

    XX C

    ReplyDelete